April 16, 1925
Mayor Walter A. Sims signs a five-year lease on an abandoned auto racetrack and
commits the City to developing it into an airfield. As part of the agreement, this
287 acres of land is renamed Candler Field after its former owner's family, including
Coca-Cola magnate Asa Candler. The infield of the old racetrack had been used as
a landing site for many years prior to 1925.
September 15, 1926
Florida Airways delivers mail on the Tampa/Jacksonville/Atlanta route to become
the first commercial flight into Candler Field.
October 11, 1927
Charles Lindbergh is given a hero's welcome as he visits Atlanta in the Spirit of
May 1, 1928
Airmail provider Pitcairn Aviation (later known as Eastern Airlines) begins regularly
scheduled air service.
April 13, 1929
The City pays $94,400 for the land and changes the name of the Airport to Atlanta