Hartsfield-Jackson offers tips for stress-free holiday travel
By Katena Carvajales
The busy holiday travel season began the day before Thanksgiving and extends
through the New Year holiday, but planning ahead can take the hassle
out the experience for travelers.
“We are excited to welcome another holiday season and are well-prepared
to get passengers to their destinations,” said Hartsfield-Jackson
Aviation General Manager Louis Miller. “Travelers should follow
these simple steps to reduce stress and create a more pleasurable
airport travel experience.”
Tips for stress-free travel:
1. Arrive 90 minutes before domestic flights and two hours before
2. Sign up for Trak-a-Flight,
the Airport’s free service that delivers updated flight information
to e-mail accounts, PDAs or mobile devices.
3. Check security wait times online at www.atlanta-airport.com,
or sign up for Trak-a-Line to have real-time checkpoint wait times
sent to e-mail accounts or mobile devices.
4. Take your pet to Hartsfield-Jackson’s dog park for a last-minute
pit stop. It’s a fully fenced, 1,000-square-foot area on the
south end of the Ground Transportation center. The park contains rock
and grass areas, benches, artwork and Mutt Mitts, biodegradable bags
for pet waste.
5. Call 1-877-ATL-PARK or visit the Airport's
Web site for information about parking availability. Take advantage
of the Airport’s more than 8,000 spaces in the convenient Park-Ride
lots, which cost only $9 per day and offer shuttle service to the
6. Use the Airport’s hourly parking lots when picking up or
dropping off passengers. Parking in these lots is free for the first
15 minutes and costs just $2 for the first hour. Unattended vehicles
parked at the curb will be ticketed and towed.
7. Remember the rules about carry-on baggage: one bag plus one personal
item per passenger. Personal items include purses, briefcases, laptop
computers and backpacks. Contact your airline for additional details.
8. Remove coats and take laptop computers out of their cases before
going through security.
9. Follow the Transportation Security Administration’s 3-1-1
rule for carry-ons: 3.4-ounce (100 ml) bottle or less (by volume);
one quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; one bag per passenger
placed in the screening bin.
10. Wait until you reach your destination to wrap presents. Wrapped
gifts may be opened and inspected.